Before the official release of the production version of the BMW M6 GT3 in 2016, it underwent rigorous drive tests in different circuits and several rounds of fine-tuning. Orders were placed as soon as the end of 2015 and buyers of the car could compete in the 2016 BMW Sports Trophy.
The BMW M6 GT3 Debut
The initial test-drive of the BMW M6 GT3 was conducted by the Dutch-born German professional racing driver Jörg Müller who has held a glorious track record and numerous winnings.
Later in the year during September of 2015, the official premiere of the BMW M6 GT3 was held at the world’s largest international motor show in Frankfurt, Germany – Internationale Automobil-Ausstellung (IAA – International Automobile Exhibition or The International Motor Show).
The stunning ride is fitted to enter the GT race and endurance races internationally beginning 2016 in replacement of the outgoing BMW Z4 GT3 (2010-2015). The M6 GTS went on sale towards the end of 2015 for racers at around €379,000 euros or approximately $410,000 US dollars.
The BMW M6 GT3 Inherited an Iconic Racing Tradition
The Director of BMW Motorsports, Jens Marquardt, expressed:
“This is a big moment for everyone who has worked so intensely and passionately on the development of the BMW M6 GT3 in recent months. This car incorporates all the experience we have gained in recent years on the endurance and GT racing circuits. We are well on schedule with the development and are confident we will be able to take to the track in 2016 with a package that is competitive from the outset. We still have a lot of work ahead of us, but I would like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to everyone who has been involved with this fantastic project.”
As Marquardt stated, the M6 GT3 encompasses drastic improvements in technology, performance, and economy. Utilizing the essence of the Motorsports development, the new M6 GT3 is even more aerodynamic and powerful than its predecessor.
With its custom tuned M TwinPower Turbocharged engine, transaxle drive concept, long wheelbase, and lightweight design, the high-performance work-of-art can be seen tearing up the tracks and snatching up trophies all around the world.
BMW M6 GT3 Specifications
The powerful heart of the BMW M6 GT3 is based on the 4.4-liter production engine with M TwinPower Turbo Technology, as used in the road-going BMW M6 Coupé. The only modifications being made was the oil supply and the intercooler.
Here is a breakdown of the M6 GTS production version specification:
The BMW M6 GTS Engine Specification
- 4.4-liter P63 production engine with M TwinPower Turbo Technology 2/Production Turbocharger
- BMW Motorsport custom specified oil supply system based on dry sump
- Specially designed Air Intercooler
- V8 engine at 4,395 cc capacity with output rated at 585 HP depending on classification
- Cosworth Engine Management with BMW Motorsport custom developed software
The BMW M6 GTS Transmission
- Six-speed Sequential racing transmission
- Ricardo Transaxle Unit with adjustable differential (preload) perfectly distributes weight between the front and rear axles
- Generator, air-conditioning compressor, Hydraulic Four-Disc Sintered Clutch on gearbox
- Zytek Actuator
- BBS rims in black
The BMW M6 GT3 Chassis
- Aerodynamically optimized and GT3 compliant chassis introduced in 2016
- Easily accessible brake liquid reservoirs, data export connections, and connections for lifting equipment, engine oil, and checking the oil
- Air jack system
- Makrolon® Discs with heated front disc
- Rapid fueling system mountable on right or left of car
The BMW M6 GT3 Undercarriage
- Closed undercarriage
- Double wishbone axle for both front and rear with adjustable height, camber, track, and roll center
- Anti-roll bar on front and rear axle, adjustable from exterior
- Four-way adjustable Öhlins Shock Absorbers
- Adjustable traction control
The BMW M6 GT3 Brakes
- AP Racing Brake System
- Fixed caliper on front brakes: 6-piston
- Fixed caliper on rear brakes: 4-piston
- Adjustable BOSCH Motorsport ABS system
The BMW M6 GT3 Wheels
- 13“ x 18“ front axle
- 13“ x 18“ rear axle
The BMW M6 GT3 Exterior Highlights
- Lightweight construction made the total weight less than 1,300 kg (approx. 2,866 lbs.)
- Complete carbon fiber exterior
- Carbon fiber crash structure in front
- Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic (CFRP) crash-element in the rear
- LED headlights
- Aerodynamically optimized splitter, diffuser, and rear wing
- Electrically adjustable wing mirrors
The BMW M6 GT3 Interior Highlights
- Ventilated BMW safety seat with adjustable height and length, oriented towards center of car for maximum safety
- Welded safety cage in line with latest FIA standards
- Adjustable steering column equipped with removable multi-functional steering wheel and pedal shift
- Illuminated control panel with status LEDs for the operating pit speed limiter, full beam/flash function, traction control, radio, wiper, display, drink system, etc.
- Color display with optional logger function
- Adjustable pedal box
- Motorsport wiring harness with various free sockets for the data logger
- Fire extinguishing system